Student Exchange Programme – SFU
The School of Journalism and Communication offers a student exchange programme with Simon Fraser University (SFU), Canada in the academic year of 2023-2024.
Under the Programme, the School will select up to four eligible students to SFU for exchange of one semester. SFU may send the equivalent number of students to study at the Chinese University of Hong Kong.
Please click here for more information about Simon Fraser University’s School of Communication.
The Programme's purpose is multifold:
- To provide students the opportunity to study at one of the top universities in Canada.
- To allow students to gain a first-hand understanding and experience of Canadian people, culture, society and university life.
- To offer students the opportunity to improve their English proficiency.
- Credits can be transferred for courses comparable to similar courses offered by the School.
Period of Study
- First term from September 2023 to December 2023
- Second term from January 2024 to April 2024
- Journalism and Communication major undergraduate students may apply.
- Year 2 (or above) undergraduate students should have a GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Applicants should be proficient in English
Fees paid to CUHK
- CUHK tuition
- CUHK and College Student Union fees
- Housing at SFU ~$4,000/semester
- Health Insurance ~$300/semester
- Books and study materials ~$1,000/semeste
- Personal expenses (food, transport, etc.)^ ~$1,000/semester
- Airfare (economy, round trip) ~HK$13,000
^Personal expenses will vary depending on the individual student’s plans for traveling and for entertainment.
University and college subsidies
Applicants are strongly advised to apply scholarships or travel grants through Office of Academic Links or affiliated colleges to cover part of their expenses.
- SFU will assist students in arranging local accommodation and give advice on course matters. Upon completion of the exchange, students may apply to transfer the credits they earned at SFU to CUHK. Details can be found at RES website.
- For curriculum planning, please consult your academic advisor. For other enquiries, please feel free to contact Ms. Kathy Ng.