Student Exchange Programmes - UT-Austin
The School of Journalism and Communication offers a student exchange programme with Moody College of Communication, the University of Texas at Austin (UT-Austin), USA, in the academic year of 2019-2020.
Under the Programme, the School will select six to twelve undergraduate / research postgraduate students to UT-Austin for exchange of one academic year or one semester. UT-Austin will send the equivalent number of students to study at the Chinese University of Hong Kong per year.
The Programme's purpose is multifold:
- To provide students the opportunity to study at one of the most prestigious colleges of communication in USA.
- To allow students to gain a firsthand understanding and experience of American people, culture, society and university life.
- To offer students the opportunity to improve their English proficiency.
- Credits can be transferred for courses comparable to similar courses offered by the School.
Period of Study
- One year from August 2019 to May 2020
- First term from August 2019 to December 2019
- Second term from January 2020 to May 2020
- The School's major undergraduate and research postgraduate students may apply.
- The priority will be given to undergraduate students.
- Year 2 (or above) students should have a GPA of 3.00 or above. Year 1 students will be assessed by their public examinations results.
- Applicants should be proficient in English.
Fees paid to CUHK
- CUHK tuition
- CUHK and College Student Union fees
- Hostel fee (Youth hostel)(US$20/day) US$4,800-$8,000/semester
- International student fee US$125/year
- Health insurance ~US$1,000/semester
- Living expenses (local transport, meals, books,
supplies and other sundry expenses) ~US$5,500-$7,000/semester
- Visa application US$280
- Airfare (economy, round trip) HK$12,000-15,000
University and college subsidies
Applicants are strongly advised to apply for scholarships or travel grants through the Office of Academic Links or affiliated colleges to cover part of their expenses.
- UT-Austin will assist students in arranging local accommodation and giving advice on course matters. Upon completion of the exchange, students may apply to transfer the credits they earned to CUHK. Details can be found at RES website.
- For undergraduate students, Prof. Clement So will be happy to provide advice and consultation on the exchange programme. For research postgraduate students, please approach Prof. Saskia Witteborn for advice.
- For the updated programme information of Moody College of Communication, The University of Texas at Austin, please visit: https://world.utexas.edu/isss/students/exchange.